UNICODE VERSION 10.0
The Unicode version 10.0 is a version of Unicode standard. It is released by the Unicode consortium. The Unicode is a platform for character encoding. It is the most presiding platform in the world. Version 10.0 is an important version of the Unicode Standard. Every version of the Unicode standard comes with a bunch of significant updates and a lot of changes. And version 10.0 is no exception. It also came forward with a lot of significant updates along with enhancements over the previous versions.
The Unicode version 10.0 was released in June 2017. It was synchronized with the fifth edition of ISO/IEC with amendments from 1 through 5. The Unicode version 10.0 contains a total of 136690 characters in total. It adds 8518 new additional characters in its character set. These additional characters include 4 new scripts. Where total scripts are 159. These additions also include 56 new emoji characters. The new historic and modern scripts that are added in this version support lesser-used and very unique languages in the world.
Following are the scripts that are added in this version:
- A set of 285 Hentaigana characters are added in this version. They are used in Japan as historic variants of Hiragana characters.
- Gujarati signs are also added. They are used for transliteration of the Arabic scripts in Gujarati.
- Soyombo and Zanabazar scripts are added. They are used to write Buddhist texts in Mongolian, Sanskrit, and Tibetan.
- Syriac letters are added. They are used to write Suriyani Malayalam. It is also known as Gurushni or Syriac Malayalam.
- Masaram Gondi script. It is used to write Gondi in Central and Southeast India.
- Nushu is also added. It is used by women in china to write poetry until the twentieth century.
- CJK extension with 7473 new Han characters.
The important addition of symbols and other characters includes:
- Version 10.0 adds new 56 emoji characters.
- Another important and new inclusion is the Bitcoin sign.
- A set of TYPicon is also added in this Unicode version.
The Bitcoin is a useful and new addition in the versions of Unicode. It is a great addition to the symbol counts of version 10.0. It is an important as well as a useful addition for everyday computer users around the world. Facebook and Twitter are already implementing the emoji symbols of version 10.0.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Unicode version 10.0
Following are some of the advantages and disadvantages of Unicode version 10.0:
A disadvantage for Apple users is that they would have to update their OS to support the Unicode 10.0. Android users have the advantage to use the mobile updated. The count of advantages of this version is more than that of advantages. Another advantage to this version is the addition of the new Bitcoin symbol. This symbol is very useful for everyday users. It adds new 56 emoji characters and 7473 new Han characters. A set of TYPicon is also added in this version, making it more advantageous.