UNICODE VERSION 9.0
Unicode is an international standard for character encoding. It is a platform for translating into different languages uses around the world. It is the only encoding platform that supports a huge number of languages that are used in the world. Some of the encoding languages are so rare and lesser-used or maybe not known. The Unicode standard version 9.0 is published by the Unicode consortium. It is a major version of the Unicode Standard. It was released on June 21, 2016.
The Unicode standard version 9.0 features a total of 128,172 characters. It adds 7500 new additional characters to its character set. The new additional characters include new 72 emoji characters and six new scripts. This version of the Unicode standard also supports the rare and very lesser-used languages in the world. These new additional rare and unique scripts include the following:
- Tangut script: It is a major historic script that is used in China
- Fulani script and other African languages
- The Warsh Orthography: It is used for Arabic script and is used in North and West Africa.
- Nosage script: It is a native American language
- Nepal bhasa script: It is a language of Nepal
- The bravenese dialect of Sahiwili is used in Somalia
Important symbol inclusion in this version are as follows:
- This version 9.0 adds 72 new emoji characters. These additional emoji characters include people, animals, smilies, food, drinks, nature, and many more.
- 19 new symbols are also added in this version of the Unicode Standard. They are used for the new 4k TV standard.
Other important updates in this version of the Unicode standard are as follows:
- It features several significant updates and improvements in the charts of the Mongolian scripts
- It also features significant updates to segmentation algorithms.
The three important updates of specifications for this version are below:
- Unicode collation algorithm: used for sorting the text that has to be encoded, or is encoded.
- Unicode security mechanism: is used for Unicode spoofing.
- Unicode compatibility processing: is used for compatible processing of non-ASCII URLs.
Some changes in this version of the Unicode standard would require modifications and implementations. This version is synchronized with the fourth edition of ISO/IEC with amendments from 1, 2, and 3. No changes were made in the conformance clauses of the core specifications of version 9.0.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Unicode version 9.0
Following are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the Unicode version 9.0:
This version was a major update in the versions of the Unicode Standard. It was published by the Unicode consortium in June 2016. It has a lot of advantages. However, there is a disadvantage also. The major disadvantage is that there are no changes made in the conformance clauses of this version. The stability policy update also showed no significant updates in this version. Advantages of this version include the addition of new symbols, emoji, and scripts. This version has three important updates over its previous version. It adds new 19 symbols for the 4K TV standard.